Sacred cows taste better.


Thursday, October 28, 2021

Cancelling Dave Chapelle


I've realized something about cancelling people. It doesn't work.

I mean, if the general idea is to shame people into changing their minds, canceling does exactly the opposite.

Case in point, Dave Chapelle, who has built his career by being boldly offensive. He's also made a career making jokes out of uncomfortable truths. But in his latest Netflix special, "The Closer," he is being decidedly transphobic, and even highlighting some of his own past transphobic humor. As a result, many of my fellow Leftists are calling for The Closer to be canceled from Netflix. So far, Netflix is standing its ground, and for good reason - it's reached #3 on Netflix's Top 10. Chappelle remains popular despite, or perhaps even because of, his transphobia.

But Chappelle is no fool. He has an unusual clarity of insight which makes him good at his job, and sooner or later (I believe), this will make him see things differently.

IF we back off.

Don't get me wrong. I side with transgender issues. I'm all for trans rights. But canceling doesn't convince anyone of anything - other than that we are the Parisian mob of 1799, beheading anyone we disapprove of without scruple or supplication.

When I was a teenager, I was a Bible-thumper. I berated certain people all the time, usually classmates or family. They, in turn, tended to double-down on being rebellious, often rubbing it in my face.

Then I questioned my faith, and eventually left Christianity. And the people I used to berate all became responsible citizens. Some even embraced the Church!

Often, backing off is the best way to let people change their minds on their own.

I'm convinced that J.K. Rowling might have come around if people had backed off on her. I'm equally convinced that Richard Dawkins might not have dug in his heels if we'd "discussed" things with him beforehand instead of merely writing him off. But people hit back hard if you hit them first. Doubly so if they're hit by an Internet flash-mob! After that, it becomes personal, and changing one's mind becomes nearly impossible.

Is it too late for Rowling or Dawkins? I don't know. But as I've said repeatedly on this blog, forgiveness is not just for religious people.

What really gets me is the outrage. It's not the outrage regarding Chapelle's transphobia that's the problem. In fact, I think the trans community has a legitimate gripe. No, the problem is that the outrage is HERE, surrounding Chappelle, and similar outrage is NOT to be found regarding the impending fall of our Republic!

Doesn't anybody care that our Democracy is about to DIE? Doesn't anyone care about that MORE than they do about Chappelle's antics?

I'm sorry, but Trump attempting ANOTHER steal is way, way more important than Chappelle or Rowling. Because if we lose our Democracy, trans rights go with it, and bad shows on Netflix will be the least of our problems.

If ANYONE trying to cancel Dave Chappelle stays home for the 2022 election, I will personally cancel that fool right back. And if Chappelle somehow gets cancelled and Tucker Carlson isn't? I will go full-on Jesus-in-the-temple, throwing over every table I can find among my fellow Progressives!

Am I saying we have bigger fish to fry? No. 

I'm saying there's a goddamned SHARK on our ass! We might want to look to that.

I mean, if we want to be alive long enough to cancel Chappelle.


Eric

*

No comments: