Sacred cows taste better.


Wednesday, October 14, 2020

A Day In The Life Of The Right-Wing Media Cult

 

I have said recently that the Right-Wing Media has become a cult, and in case you somehow don't believe me, here's what hit the news just yesterday that totally makes my point regarding this:

Trump begged for women to vote for him at a rally, saying, "So I ask you to do me a favor. Suburban women: will you please like me? Please. Please. I saved your damn neighborhood, OK? The other thing: I don't have that much time to be that nice. You know, I can do it, but I gotta go quickly."

Sounds a bit like that bad first date who says, "You know, I sprung for a nice dinner for you, and I don't have all night, so can we just get right to it, please?" Yeah, he's that guy.

And there was a time when no politician would say anything that bluntly racist. Really? "I saved your damn neighborhood?" From what, pray tell? Why, from those silly black people who want to move to your upper middle-class neighborhood, that's what! Now, point this out to a Trump supporter, and they will say, "That's not racist!"

Yeah. Cult.

Then there's this one: Olivia Nuzzi reported in the Intelligencer that Rudy Giuliani had this particular meltdown:

“I took one this morning,” Giuliani said of hydroxychloroquine. “I was exposed four days ago. Four negatives. My doctor makes me take hydroxychloroquine because he believes it’s a prophylactic. Not only that — my doctor has treated 2,000 patients. Two people died. One was 87. The other was 79. Both of them had very serious diabetes.” He called the drug “a great pill if you take it at the early stages.”

Later on, after claiming that Democrats used the pandemic to take away gun rights (which did not happen) he mentioned the McCloskeys, the couple who wielded guns on the porch of their St. Louis mansion in front of Black Lives Matter demonstrators who were passing by. Giuliani said (no, I'm not making this up) that the protesters had yelled, “’We want to rape your wife! We want to rape your wife! We want this for reparations! This is number one for reparations! Biggest house here! Reparations!’ Nobody knows this, but at the time, their daughter was upstairs under the bed because she was afraid they’re going to come in and they’re talking about rape and they’re going to rape the wife and they’re going to find the daughter.”

How much of this was true? Exactly zero percent!

Yeah. Cult.

In a normal administration, with a normal electorate, Giulianni would be quietly fired and brought to a psychiatrist. Probably in a strait-jacket. How far we have come from the days when John McCain yanked the microphone away from a crazy woman who insisted that Barack Obama was a Muslim.

Then there's this one:

When Senator Corey Booker asked Amy Comey Barrett if a president should commit himself to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses an election, Barrett said this:

“Well, Senator, that seems to me to be pulling me in a little bit into this question of whether the president has said that he would not peacefully leave office, and so to the extent this is a political controversy right now, as a judge I want to stay out of it.”

No it's not a "political controversy!" It is basic jurisprudence 101! If a president refuses to leave after losing an election, that's called a dictatorship, and it's just not done! But this woman was so over-coached to avoid saying anything controversial that she dodged even that softball question! And in so doing, looked to the whole world as though she were the most incompetent judge on the planet! I doubt she's quite that bad, but if she wouldn't even answer that one, it's close!

Like I said, cult.

Or there was the news story about Trump considering wearing a Superman t-shirt underneath his regular clothes and then ripping off his button-down shirt to reveal it. Because that's a sane president, right? Or the one where Trump re-Tweeted a conspiracy theory that says Obama and Biden may have had Seal Team 6 murdered. In what universe is this not grounds for immediate impeachment?

It won't be considered, and not just because the election is 20 days away. It won't be considered because 52 Senators just won't grow enough of a backbone to restore some small shred of dignity to their party.


'Nuff said.


Eric

*

No comments: